Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Week 9 - Podcasts



I had a look at the Podcastalley.com and did a search for book reviews. I chose the podcast called Books on the Nightstand and added their RSS feeds to my bloglines account (go to the folder called #21 - Podcasts, and the RSS feeds for Books on the Nightstand will be found there) .Each podcast for Books on the Nightstand would start off with a thought provoking question e.g. is there a difference between murder and suspense novels?, do you judge a book by it's cover?, or what do you look for in a book?. This type of discussion really hooks you into their podcast and makes you want to listen to what they have to say about the books they are reviewing. I must say I loved the content of their discussion on the plot, characters and underlying themes of the books - boy after their discussion on the book "The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson" I really wanted to read this book (access their podcast,10: Books with Buzz and you will see what I mean). This is definitely a tool that Manukau Libraries should include in it's Readers Advisory Service. By providing RSS feeds to podcasts like Books on the Nightstand customers are able to access book reviews 24 hours a day, 7 days a week from any computer, ipod and cellphone as long as there is an internet connection, I like to think of this as "Book Reviews on the Run".

2 comments:

Michael Kindness said...

Hey Webmum-

Thanks so much for finding our blog and podcast Books on the Nightstand and for saying such nice things about it!

best,
Michael

tosca said...

Hey! Saw you today (obviously, we were working side by side in the library this morning) and listened to what you were saying about Books on the Nightstand. Got home, checked it out and am listening to their 'Podcast, Episode 10: Books with Buzz' as I type this. Makes me really think about how I decide to read some books. I hate to say it but I do judge by covers. I also read a lot of what borrowers suggest - the ones that I find hard going (too wordy or doesn't get my attention in the first chapter) I don't finish and if I genuinely enjoy a book I'll recommend it to another borrower, or even tell the first one that I enjoyed it and why. I also read 'Good reading' (the Aust mag) and various reviews (either online or print). Sometimes if a topic catches my interest I'll request anything and everything on it just to get my head around it (e.g. web 2.0 tools in libraries). Great podcast episode! Really made me think about what makes me read one particular title over another and how I then promote it (or don't) to other borrowers.