Monday, August 11, 2008

Week 7 or Thing 17....

This week I looked at the Bebo page Auckland City Libraries (ACL) had set up and was amazed at how much homework help students do get from ACL. ACL offered homework help forums through to word cloud topic searches and RSS feeds. You can also request to become a friend of ACL. I esspecially loved their bunnyhero pets where you can adopt your own vitual pet, feed and play with it. I had great fun clicking on every single one and having a play with them all. My favourite was definitely bebo puppy, he barks, chases a ball and you can even feed him vitual dog biscuits and hear him munching on those biscuits. Looking at the video called A Flip-book story which ACL had put on their bebo page was ingenious, simply by flicking the pages of 2 books simultaneously it looks like the person holding a flower in the first book is passing the flower to the person in the second book, this reminds me of how the first moving pictures were made.

The good thing about Myspace was you could take a tour round the site before signing up (a big plus as far as I was concerned). I found Myspace very user-friendly, and the layout of the site was very attractive. Inspired by the movie Mamma Mia I decided to look into the music of ABBA, so went to Myspace. I was able to watch video clips of the group ABBA performing songs like Mamma Mia, Waterloo and Money Money. Click on the link below to see the video of ABBA performing Mamma Mia.

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=2688623

I also found a great image of the group ABBA to add to my blog, and since I loved the movie Mamma Mia I decided to put another image of the group posing with the cast of the movie.








I also had a look at some very funny videos, here's one of my favourite's titled "hippo and dog singing the lion sleeps tonight". Click on the link below to view:

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=1665858

Facebook was a site I really didn't like because of the sign up first policy, you sign up before you even look at the site, who signs up to a site without knowing what the site looks like I certainly don't, a big minus as far as I'm concerned for Facebook. Visited Hennepin County Library page on Facebook and they definitely have a successful library profile, it provides their website address, catalogue search widget, a post wall for people to leave comments on and there was even a link to chat to a librarian ( I guess this is similar to Any Questions that Manukau Libraries have), generally a very attractive site with a great layout.




1 comment:

Pat R said...

I was coerced into seeing Mamma Mia (the play), which ended up being great... as for the movie version, sounds fun, though it's awkward to think of ol' Pierce trying to sing, yeeesh